Wandering patient elopements or injuries suffered by a patient while wandering can have permanent catastrophic effects, including:
- Death or injury to self, other patients or staff
- Tarnished hospital reputation
- Liability and litigation costs
- Immediate jeopardy citations
- Loss of Medicaid / Medicare reimbursements
- Potential spread of infection
For patients in unfamiliar, chaotic and confusing surroundings can be overwhelming and can trigger wandering tendencies causing him/her to potentially get lost, travel to unsafe areas of a facility (e.g. rooftop or balcony) or elope entirely unnoticed.
Patients prone to wandering include:
- Individuals with Alzheimer’s, Dementia, Autistic spectrum disorders
- Patients with mental / cognitive impairments
- Psychiatric patients
- Patients undergoing neurological surgery / treatment
- Pediatric patients
Our Door GUARDIAN™ system allows hospitals to monitor wandering patients, including the ability to lock down specific doors. With the addition of our ENVisionIT™ RTLS solution, facilities may also track the exact location of a patient who might wander and set rules to send alerts to staff based upon a wandering patient’s location.